14 October, 2003
Another Kind of Balloon
We are still waiting for our helicopter flight. A whole week has passed. Operations now are running at only 10 percent of what they should be. A storm just keeps swirling about and every now and then we get hit. The lulls are not long enough to get a flight in.
We are now launching rubber balloons. They look like giant party balloons. We could not use them before because they are brittle when they get cold. So now it is warm, a toasty minus 70C in the stratosphere. At minus 80C we would be in trouble and would have to use plastic balloons. But we made a mistake. Our flight went half way up and burst. It was too cold.
Just a few pictures. The flight in from Christchurch was cancelled again. There are a bunch of Italians that need to get to their base and they will be using the helicopters when they arrive. So we want to get our flight in.
Contact the TEA in the field at .
If you cannot connect through your browser, copy the TEA's e-mail address in the "To:" line of your favorite e-mail package.