6 October, 2003
We are unable to go out on the helicopters because the winds have picked up to 40 knots. The snow is blowing and at times visibility is near zero. So instead we spent the day learning how to locate objects with an H antenna and receiver. In the evening things cleared up a bit and the perpetual sunset was spectacular.
The last flight was a couple of days ago. It boomeranged. They flew all the way here and then had to turn back, after circling the runway. Now there are a lot of people waiting at Christchurch to fly in! You can't seem to predict the local conditions here for more than a few hours during October.
We launch a balloon at 4 in the morning. But the winds right now are blowing the building about. Amazingly the winds are predicted to calm down by midnight. We shall see, it will be a long night.
Contact the TEA in the field at .
If you cannot connect through your browser, copy the TEA's e-mail address in the "To:" line of your favorite e-mail package.