17 December, 2002
We will collect the last samples for this transect today. We saved the two lowest sample sites for last in case the weather turned bad. Since there is an All Terrain Vehicle here, we decide to drive on the sea ice to the sample sites. This gives us only about 500 meters to hike. What? Are we getting lazy? Not a chance. This just seems like more fun.
Rusty and Scott go our to start the ATV and immediately run into problems. The ATV starts, then dies. They continue to work on it for an hour or more. What things should they check? What would you check? What do you think is wrong?
Clear thinking and patience as well as a phone call to the experts results in the ATV finally running smoothly. We set off for the site. However, after going about a mile along the coast, the ATV stops again. What now!
What should we do? Well, the women on the team walked back to the field camp to find some tools. We are determined to get the ATV working because we do not want to leave it out on the sea ice. The team separates. Should we do this? What do we need to do to make sure no one gets into trouble? Are there any questions you want to ask us now? What would you do?
Three of us hike back to the field camp and find the tools. Just as we are about to start back, the ATV dives up. The guys fixed the problem and we are ready to roll once again. We did have radio contact with each other at all times. Safety first!
Finally we reach our destination and since we are well practiced now, the sampling moves swiftly along.
Contact the TEA in the field at .
If you cannot connect through your browser, copy the TEA's e-mail address in the "To:" line of your favorite e-mail package.