Living and working in Remote Field camps
Greenland Summit Camp
- Travel to high altitude can be difficult be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness
- Drink plenty of water before arriving / during your stay carry a water bottle
- The first 4 days are the most difficult and dangerous, be very careful
- Take it easy - no strenuous exercise
- Take aspirin or Tylenol for your headache
- Consider diamox to avoid problems
- Avoid direct contact with the snow
- Dress in layers - use synthetics / no cotton!
- Stand on a foam pd whenever you can ( crazy creek chair)
- Have multiple socks, gloves and hats
- Be aware of your temperature adjust BEFORE becoming cold or HOT
- Keep moving in the cold, dance around while waiting for something to happen
- Sleep with socks and a hooded sweatshirt (fleece)
- Take a bottle of boiling water to bed with you in a leakproof container!
- Wear Gore-Tex windstopper fabrics
- Put waterless cream such as dermatone on your face
- Always stand with your back to the wind
- Be extra aware of how you move and use tools
- Cold wind low visibility all make accidents happen, be careful
People and getting along
- Close quarters can be stressful, find ways to make your own space, take a walk, listen to music
- Think before you act or speak , be conscious of your personality, don't overwhelm!
- Help out more than you think is needed
- Smile and be friendly to everyone
- Keep your problems in check - don't overshare
- Do everything you learned in Kindergarten
Hygiene and Health
- Wash your hands after using the toilet
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Take vitamins - you wont see many freshies
- Wet wipes for cleanups btw showers
- Do not go on a diet!
- Be flexible - the cooks try very hard, but you may not get what you really want
- Be an Omnivore
- Take a few emergency powerbars - esp helpful if you miss a meal because you were working -- and for the flights in and out!
- Take a water bottle with you everywhere
- Sunday is the cooks day off - feel free to help out if you have time
- You can ( usually) do laundry every week.
- Take layers so you can adjust easily
- Indoors in the lab areas - clogs are good and slippers in the big house for meals and relaxing let you boots dry out while you are indoors
- You probably wont need the big white bunny boots - sorrels were enough for me
- The best anywhere!
- Satellite internet and network
- You'll need an airport or wireless card
- Great connection
- Website for more details www.summitcamp.org
Science clean air sector
- Many experiments are going on here, tread carefully
- Ask before you dig or move anything!
- Some experiments are buried watch where you walk
- Many experiments involve wearing a clean suit and gloves - ask!
- You can ski / walk on the groomed skiway ( 5 km) but ask and be sure it's OK
- There are plenty of books, magazines and videos
- Holidays of all types are celebrated - bring decorations for your favorite
- Internet radio is available
- You can recharge all types of batteries - plenty of electricity
Back to: TEA
Information Front Page